Wednesday, August 21, 2013

DIY Headboard: Reveal

My goal was to have Walker's room completely finished by Monday.  It's Wednesday and I can tell you that it did not happen but it is so close to being done and I can't wait to share the whole room with you once it is complete. This past weekend we worked on his dresser  (you can see that post here) and his bed.  I had planned to build him a pallet bed but after doing some research on the chemicals in pallets I decided not to go that way.  You can do your own research on that topic and decide what's best for you and your family.  I wanted something that was going to last a while so we made a trip to Home Depot and picked up some wood and supplies.  I had planned to do a whole tutorial and annoy my husband by taking step by step pictures to post here but I got a migraine Sunday after church and by the time I woke up my sweet husband had finished the headboard.  Here are the pictures I gave him for my inspiration:
     
(Note: These are NOT my pictures and are pictures I pinned from Pinterest.  If these are your photos, please let me know and I will be glad to give you credit.)
After looking at A LOT of pictures of these types of headboards I found that the ones I liked had two things in common.  The first was the height of the headboard.  I wanted it to be tall enough to really see it even when the bed is made and the pillows are against it.  The second thing is that I wanted it to be framed.  The frame of the headboard gives it a bit of dimension and gives it a neat and completed look.
 
Here is what the headboard looked like before it was finished and stained.  If you follow me on Instagram you probably saw this sneak peek! We did end up cutting the legs about two inches after this picture to get it to the perfect height.
These pictures above are after the sanding, staining, and protective coating.  Can anyone guess what I said to that handyman hottie to make him look at me that way?! :)  I told him I was taking his picture to put on the blog and that is the look I got. And, finally, the big reveal.  I could not be happier with the finished product.  It looks so perfect with his new fire truck bedding.  I think he likes it! His room is really coming together and I hope to be able to show the completed room very soon.
 

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Great Job! I have been trying to convince my husband to build a bigger one similar to this for our room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was pretty simple and only took about an hour to build if that helps convince him any ;)

    ReplyDelete