Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Snakes, Truths, and Soccer.

Let's start out with a disclaimer.  I named my blog The Honest Momma because I was tired of seeing so many blogs that were portraying motherhood as a perfect, glorious, glitter-filled experience.  Motherhood is hard and it's messy and I am 100% not the mother I thought I would be.  I struggle daily and have to ask for forgiveness daily from my husband, my children, and my Lord.  But lately it's been quiet around here because I am having trouble living up to my name.  Some things have happened that make it easier to ignore this blog rather than put them out there and be honest about them because with honesty comes judgment.  But then I think that there have to be other moms out there who want to read REAL stories.  So, here goes..

Snakes, Truths, and Soccer is the title of this blog.  Let's start with the least scary of the three: Soccer.  Not just any soccer but unorganized, chaotic, three year old soccer.  Walker will be four years old in November.  He has never played soccer but I figured he is going to be an all-star athlete and he will excel at every sport so I signed him up expecting goal after goal and domination. Instead I saw a little boy who was confused, got his feelings hurt when the other team took the ball from him, and did not want to take the ball from his friends.  I saw a little boy who would rather sit on the sidelines and cheer on the yellow team than actually be on the yellow team.  However, it's what I saw from his momma that was the real revelation.  Let me tell you - if you want to learn about yourself, good or bad, take part in youth sports.  I had NO idea how competitive I am until that first soccer game.  I am disappointed that Walker does not love soccer and I am frustrated that we are spending our Sundays trying to convince Walker to run, not walk, to the ball but we aren't quitting and we aren't quitting for a few reasons.  Each game gives both Walker and myself a chance to do better than we did the week before.  He did score a goal in his first game so I know he can do it.  And doesn't he just look adorable in his little soccer outfit? He's an All-Star in my book.
On Saturday we headed to my parents house to help them move.  They live about an hour and a half away so we were gone most of the day.  We got home that evening and my sweet husband grilled out and I began to do laundry.  I saw a snake skin on my hamper.  It was small but that didn't stop me from screaming and literally running outside to get Chris.  We looked everywhere for the snake and still have not found any other sign of it other than the snake skin.  I stayed up that night as long as I possibly could until I could not hold my eyes open anymore because I was so terrified to go to sleep.  I have convinced myself that the sweet little snake needed to get out of the rain so he found a way in, shed his skin, and left.  That's the story we are going with because Momma has to get some sleep!
 
Here's the topic I am dreading.  The truths.  Children are the great truth tellers.  They have no filter and it really is just a beautiful thing until their truth is about you and then it can just cut you to your core.  Since I started teaching preschool I have had less time to work on my craft business and I have gotten used to going to bed with my husband rather than staying up until 2 am crafting so there are some nights when I start working after dinner while my three boys play.  The other night I was working and Walker, Wyatt, and Daddy were playing. Walker looked at me and said, "Mommy sometimes you have to stop being so busy and just play."  It stopped me in my tracks.  From the mouths of babes, huh? So I did.  And I am struggling with this because I do have to do some work but you know what? I also have to just stop and play because these moments are flying by at warp speed and because I have a super smart four year old who told me to - I told ya'll he's an All-Star.

2 comments:

  1. talk about a punch in the gut!!! Sweet boy just wants to play with his awesome momma!! Love it! And praying that "sweet" snake is gone forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes we just have to take a break. I know, just today I stopped doing the laundry, cleaning, crafting, and I laid down on the blanket with my Wyatt outside. We just laid their listening to music and I just watched him. The time passes too quickly to worry about anything else!

    ReplyDelete